Saturday, July 11, 2015

Summertime Beauty!

Happy Weekend Friends!
Believe it or not, I do NOT have a card to share with you today!
BUT ... I would like to share some of the 'pretties' I have blooming around the house.
















We seem to be having an 'issue' with the concrete slab on our front porch so instead of doing the large pots that usually sit between the pillars of our front porch, I chose to put a hanging basket at either end of the porch until we are able to get someone here to look/repair the porch itself.  I really like how they've done and it's interesting to see how one grows vs the other because of the difference in sun/shade.  They were both the same size/shape when I bought them a few months back.  LOVE the color ... so bright and happy!!

The lilies have done beautifully this year ... 
well, actually all my flowers have done VERY WELL with all the rain we've had!
We have Day Lilies at the front porch steps ... out front by the light post as well as along the side of the house.  They are two different varieties  ... one is a lighter shade of yellow that blooms first ... then this richer yellow variety that comes next which appears to EXTEND the lily blooming time.  I've planted a few varieties of Asiatic Lilies here and there to add an additional POP of color with the yellow ... makes me smile every time I walk out the front door and feel it is a nice WELCOME to anyone who comes to visit!

When we had our new landscaping done a few years back, one of the flowers my husband enjoys seeing are the Cone Flowers and Black Eyed Susans.  The Black Eyed Susans are just beginning to flower but the cone flowers are doing AMAZINGLY well this year and the Gold Finch are LOVING all the thistle seeds!

We originally had them put out front by the light pole but the second year I had so many new starters on the plants that I did some transplanting ... along the front of the house/garage in between the shrubs as well as out on one of the property mounds along with the peony's.  The peony's give us beautiful color in the spring/early summer then the cone flowers take over to keep the color blast coming!


A few other fun flowers around the front of my house would be the Speedwell (which is purple when it blooms so of course I just HAD to have some here and there) and this year I had to unfortunately remove one of my OLD Lilac bushes at the corner of the house so replaced it with a couple Butterfly Bushes ... I'm anxious to see how they do.  I have noticed more butterflies around already ... YAY!!  

My Dad had SO MANY butterflies around his flowers when I was growing up ... it truly warms my heart when I see more beginning to frequent our flower beds!!

Last but not least is this fabulous DOUBLE FACED SUNFLOWER that the birds (or squirrels ... not sure which, lol!) planted for us along the sidewalk.

Last year they were kind enough to plant one along the driveway side of the light post flower bed and it did SO WELL.  At the end of the season they came back to enjoy the beautiful full head of sunflower seeds.  And, this year they should have TWICE the bounty!!

I guess this is bound to happen when the backyard is sprinkled with sunflower seed bird feeders!  But that's okay ... I love nature and watching it all evolve and bloom!  We've actually seen a few more hummingbirds at our purple petunias on the back deck this year ... so interesting to watch them at work!!

Well I've kept you long enough ... I know I can be LONG WINDED when sharing my outdoor 'labors of love'!  Thanks for sticking with me!


Have a fabulous weekend and I truly appreciate you taking the time to stop by!  
As always . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave me some love!

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) by commenting you do so in the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.